Sunday, June 22, 2014

Yesterday's Walk

I went on my daily walk with my youngest son Marcus. Going on these walks together, we have time to talk just us two. Well we was talking about this past school year and he informs me that he didn't have a lot of friends this year. I asked him why and he gave me a list of reasons why. All of the reasons he told me hurt me to my heart. But the two that hurt me the most was that he said some of his fellow classmates called him fat and that he was ugly.
   This hurt me to my heart but I smiled and told him that he was not ugly and that I love him very much. I told him that's why we are walking so that you and I will be healthy and fit. This brought back a lot of memories for me because I went through the same situation that he's having to endure. I was called fat. People made fun of me at school. They started rumors about me in high school saying I was pregnant and other hurtful things. My last two years of high school was a living hell for me because of it all. I had seriously thought about dropping out of school because of what was going on. If it wasn't for a few people that came into my life. I would have dropped out.  In fact, I didn't go to school for almost a month.
  Today I just felt like crying because of what my son had told me. I was strong and didn't relapse into the comfort of eating food. I have to admit that I was addicted to food. Food didn't let me down. It comfort me and I felt so much better. I now know that it was wrong for my health and this is why I'm changing and working on me.
  Parents please talk to your children. Because had I not talked to my son today, I wouldn't have known how he was feeling inside. It hurt me to my heart that he went to school everyday to other children teasing him about his apprearance. Tears are rolling down my face as I'm typing this blog. To my son Marcus. I love you so very much!! You are a handsome young man on the inside and out. As long as you have me, you will be well loved. Together  we are going to be fit and healthy. The same classmates that called you fat and ugly are going to look at the new you and want to be your friend. Be forgiving because you have a kind heart.
   My message is: Parents please talk to your children. My theme song for this journey is Beautiful by Indie Arie.

4 comments:

  1. That is heartbreaking! I went through the same bullying in school. And like you it got worse on into highschool. But I did drop out, not entirely I actually homeschooled. But without Hubby there with me (he had graduated at the end of my 9th grade year) I just couldn't go without him! The problem is not in the size of your son, although of course there is nothing wrong with getting healthy, the problem is that parents aren't teaching their children how to treat others. Xavier STILL talks about the kids who were mean to him in Kindergarten and 1st grade. And it still breaks my heart. But I LOVE that my children aren't that way. They have big hearts. BUT if I EVER hear them EVER pick on another child for ANYTHING, I swear I will wear their tails out! LOL Anyway tell your little man, he is VERY handsome! And that him walking with you is an awesome thing!! We really need to get together and let our boys hang out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hugs and I pray for you, as we are going through the same thing now, I know that you know me as small but me and jonathan had blown up and once my son came to me with a similar story he's fit but once he got fit I didn't keep track anymore, and we just got comfy and fat together me and jonathan, now we are walking every morning too, keep us in your prayers as well hugs n misses to you girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps using the www.myfitnesspal.com and getting a calorie counting watch has helped us a lot too.

    ReplyDelete